Tuesday, May 6, 2008

corn

One of the things I adore about this spring is corn. Oh shit, that's summer. So I'm eating imported-from-Brazil-totally-out-of-season corn. So sue me. Anyway, I have really been relishing raw corn, cut off the cob. It has a refreshing milky taste, like the way a new baby smells. A clean one. And the sort of popping it makes between your teeth as the skin bursts is satisfying, like pomegranate almost, and that gets lessened in cooking. Although the flavor becomes more focused. But cooked corn is so 1970's. Today I made a really nice salad for a hot and lethargic summer day.

Corn cut off three ears of corn
1 red pepper, finely chopped
1 jalepeno, ditto
large handful chopped cilantro
small handful chopped parsley
1 finely chopped shallot
Juice of 1 lemon
loads of salt
splash sunflower seed oil

You really gotta like fresh corn. If you do it's very good.

No comments: